Activity Centre, Albion Way
Blyth NE24 5BW
01670 359 465
Open Mon, Tue & Fri : 9am - 4pm
Wed : 9am - 1pm
Thursday : 9am - 5pm
Weekends: Closed

Information For Our Tenants

Are you ready for Universal Credit?

Universal Credit (UC) is a new benefit payment, which replaces six working age benefits with a single monthly payment similar to a monthly working wage. The six benefits being replaced are:

Who does it affect?

The Full Digital Service of UC is introduced in Northumberland from December 2018, when the majority of new working age benefit claimants will be required to claim UC. Some changes in existing circumstances may also prompt a new UC claim.

People of pension age will not currently be affected. If you are unsure of when you will reach state pension age, the GOV.UK website provides a useful state pension calculator. You may still be affected however if you are not currently receiving Pension Credit and your partner is under Pension Credit age.

UC is paid directly to one member of the household into a bank, building society or credit union account.

Existing working age benefit claimants will begin to be moved over to UC from 2019 onwards.

Preparing for Universal Credit

You need to be able to use a computer and the internet to claim UC, manage your UC claim and search for work online. If you need support to get online, visit us

When you need to make a Universal Credit claim you will be asked to input personal details including your National Insurance Number. As part of this process you will need to obtain information about your Occupancy from Miller Wallace Residential.

After making your initial claim, it will take at least six weeks for you to receive your first Universal Credit payment. When required, it is important to claim UC as soon as you are able. The quicker you claim, the quicker you will receive your first payment.

Adjusting to payments in arrears

If you think you might struggle to adjust to receiving your benefit payment on a monthly basis, in arrears, you can find out how prepared you are for UC on

Your responsibilities

If you are entitled to the housing costs element of UC, this will be included in your single UC monthly payment. This is the main difference for tenants in claiming UC instead of Housing Benefit. .

Keeping in touch

If you need to claim UC in the future it is important that you inform us in advance. It is also important to inform the DWP  of any change in your circumstances as soon as you can, as your UC entitlement may be affected. If you keep us informed we will be more able to support you through any changes you have.

Support with your finances

For help and advice in relation to UC and your finances generally, personal budgeting and managing your money contact Our team who can provide information on benefits, budgeting.

Further information

Additional information to help you prepare for UC can be found on the GOV.UK website or by contacting Universal Credit directly on 0800 328 9344..